The Ecosystem Pond
The Ecosystem Pond
“Work with Mother Nature, not against her…”
An ecosystem pond works with Mother Nature to provide food, shelter, and safety to the wildlife around it. It also provides you with an all-natural, low-maintenance piece of paradise. It’s important to remember, however, that every piece of the ecosystem puzzle must be present in order for a true ecosystem to be in place. Eliminate one of these elements and you’ve got an unbalanced ecosystem that won’t be so low-maintenance anymore.
The Five Crucial Components of a Pond Ecosystem include:
1. Circulation System is really just a fancy way of saying “pumps and plumbing.” An efficient circulation system keeps the water moving and provides the necessary oxygen levels for healthy fish and plants.
2. Filtration System includes both a biological and a mechanical filter. A biological filter provides surface area for beneficial bacteria to colonize and remove excess nutrients from the water. A mechanical filter will not only pre-filter the water and house the pump; it will also skim debris from the pond’s surface to prevent the accumulation of organic materials on the pond bottom.
3. Fish are an integral part of any ecosystem pond. Contrary to popular belief, fish will actually reduce pond maintenance as they graze on string algae and feed off the pond bottom.
4. Aquatic Plants are Mother Nature’s true filters. Plants are great for adding character to a pond by providing color and texture, but from a filtration perspective, they are second to none. Thriving from the excess nutrients in a pond and depriving algae of its food source, aquatic plants are critical for the overall health of ecosystem pond.
5. Rocks, Gravel and Bacteria have been a controversial element in the water gardening hobby for many years. Many enthusiasts have steered away from rocks and gravel out of fear that their pond will become a maintenance nightmare. On the contrary, rocks and gravel will not only make your pond look more natural, they will also protect your pond liner from the sun’s UV degradation. In addition, they provide tremendous surface area for beneficial bacteria to colonize and break down excess nutrients in the water and organic debris on the pond floor.
Picture Perfect Ponds builds low-maintenance, ecosystem ponds that work with Mother Nature, not against her. A properly constructed water garden provides you with more time to enjoy family and friends….while gathered around your pond, of course!